If you are getting the DirectX unrecoverable error on your system, then this is just the right article for you.
The gamers playing Call of Duty and other high graphics games generally encounter this problem and as they launch the game in Windows and the error appears, the game won't start, instead, the DirectX unrecoverable error message is displayed.
Here, in this article, we will talk about the DirectX unrecoverable error and the various ways in which it can be fixed.
DirectX Unrecoverable Error
The first thing that is very clear by the error message that you get is that the DirectX unrecoverable error has occurred because the Direct X installed on your computer has encountered some issues.
Also, your DirectX version could be outdated or probably your Windows system doesn't meet the requirements for the specific game.
Direct X is very important for multimedia software being the sequence of the APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) and it enables the game to be connected with the hardware components such as video card, memory, and sound card.
And errors such as the DirectX unrecoverable error are likely to show up when the Direct X is corrupted or won't match the requirement of the game.
FIXES: DirectX unrecoverable error
1. Reinstall the Graphics Card Driver
It is suggested to try reinstalling the graphics card driver if updating the DirectX version won't work for you. Many users have used this to fix the DirectX unrecoverable error.
This is how you can do this:
- Press Windows Key + X, then Device Manager.
- Go to the Display Adapters section on the Device Manager and find out your graphic card driver.
- Then, right-click the driver and select Uninstall.
- Now, mark the Remove the driver software for this device and click OK.
- Restart your system after uninstalling the driver.
- Move to your graphic card manufacturer’s website as the computer restarts and download the latest graphic card drivers.
- Then, install the drivers that you have downloaded.
After this, check if the DirectX unrecoverable error is resolved.
2. Update Graphic Card Driver
You can try updating the Graphic card drivers to fix the DirectX unrecoverable error on your Windows 10 device.
For the latest driver update compatible with your Windows version, visit the Microsoft official website or the Manufacturer's website and search for the latest driver update.
You can also use some automatic Graphics Card updating applications as downloading the drivers manually is very time consuming and it also carries the risk of installing the wrong driver which might result in some serious malfunctioning.
3. Verify the Game DirectX System Requirement
The DirectX unrecoverable error in Windows 10 is most likely to happen if your Windows computer doesn't meet the DirectX system requirement to run the game.
You should first check the game's system requirements:
- Open the game’s Steam page.
- Then, look for the DirectX system requirement for the game.
- Press Win key + R to open Run box.
- Type dxdiag in the box and hit OK.
- On the System tab, you can see the DirectX Diagnostic Tool open up.
- Here you can see the list of your Windows system DirectX version.
If the requirements are not met, you can update the DirectX installed but you have to keep in mind that this depends on the Windows version that you are using. DirectX 12 version is supported on the Windows 10 OS.
4. Update Game/Windows to the Latest Build
The reason for the DirectX unrecoverable error could also be that the game you are running is outdated and if that is the case, then you should update it.
You have to also make sure that you are updating Windows with the latest updates otherwise you are highly prone to corruption or you might see various errors.
Updating the game and the OS:
- Press Windows + S
- Type Update in the search bar and open the Update settings.
- Then, click on Check for updates in the update settings option.
- As you are now connected to the Microsoft servers, check if there is any update available.
- Install the highlighted updates immediately.
- Restart your computer as the update is installed.
- Then, just open the game or the game client like Steam or Blizzard and move to the update section.
- Check if updates are available. And if they are, download and install them.
- Restart your computer.
Now, check if the DirectX unrecoverable error still remains.
5. Configure the Display Scaling Settings
It was suggested by some of the users that configuring the Display Scaling Settings has worked for them to fix the DirectX unrecoverable error.
Do this by following the given steps:
- First, adjust DPI (Dots Per Inch) settings in Windows 10.
- You can do this by right-clicking the desktop and selecting Display Settings in the window that appeared.
- Then in Windows 10 > click Custom scaling to enter a custom DPI scale value.
- Enter 100 in the text box, if that is not your current DPI scale value.
- Then, click on Apply.
- Finally, for applying the custom scale factor click on Sign out.
This will probably get rid of the error.
6. Change Advanced Graphics Options
Changing the Advanced Graphics Options has also helped many of the gamers to fix the DirectX unrecoverable error on Windows 10.
Sometimes the error is caused by the advanced graphics settings like Shadow control which take plenty of resources on the computer.
- Go to the control panel of different graphics cards to find the graphics options and try lowering the setting to a minimum.
- Or you could verify the settings in the in-game graphics settings of the game and try lowering the settings to a minimum.
The settings could also be reset to the default values and then check if the DirectX unrecoverable error on Windows 10 remains.
7. Edit the Registry
You can also edit the registry to fix the DirectX unrecoverable error on Windows 10.
Altering the registry manually is a little risky as your entire system can be damaged by even a small mistake. So you need to make sure that you follow the steps given below very carefully.
- Press the Win key + R
- Then, type regedit in the Run box and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor
- Then move to the registry location: ComputerHKEY_CLASSES_ROOTPROTOCOLSFiltertext/xml.
- Click on File, then Export and then enter a file title.
- Then, click save to back up the selected registry branch.
- Now, right-click text/xml and select the Delete option.
- Then, hit Yes button to confirm.
- Finally, close the Registry Editor.
8. Reinstall the Game
You can just try reinstalling the game if none of the above fixes has worked for you.
After you install the game again on your Windows system, restart your computer and then check if the DirectX unrecoverable error on Windows 10 remains.
The PC Repair Tool ( BEST & SIMPLE)
As we have mentioned in our other articles, you can use the PC Repair tool in case of most errors as it helps you fix BSOD, DLL and other errors on Windows 10.
So, that was all about the DirectX unrecoverable error on Windows 10.
You can let us know your experience with the DirectX unrecoverable error on Windows 10 in the comments section.
All the best!