For Discord users, one of the major concerns is the failure to get past 'RTC Connecting'.
But, there are a few measures you can take to make this problem go away; here we will take a look at some of these measures.
Meaning Of “RTC Connecting”
Discord users might meet an obstacle sometimes, where they cannot establish a connection. In these situations, you cannot join a real-time voice chat as the service continues saying 'RTC Connecting' without making any progress.
The meaning of 'RTC Connecting' is that the platform is trying to initiate a voice call. Concurrent communication is facilitated on Discord, using the Real-Time Chat protocol, therefore the 'RTC Connecting' problem is network related.
What Causes ‘RTC Connecting’?
We have to first understand what causes an 'RTC Connecting' error to be able to fix it:
- Unstable Internet Connection: You can reach an unending RTC connection attempt loop if your internet connection is not reliable enough.
- Dynamic IP: If your IP address is constantly changed by your VPN, this affects the performance of Discord.
- VPN without UDP: A VPN without a User Datagram Protocol (UDP) is not supported by Discord.
- Discord Quarantined by Your Antivirus: Your Discord file could have been identified as potentially harmful by your antivirus and thus quarantined by it.
- Server problems: You cannot join a chat on Discord if your region's server is unable to create a connection.
Now, we can look into the measures we can take to fix the 'RTC Connecting' problem.
Fixing Discord Stuck on ‘RTC Connecting’
Fixing the RTC problem is pretty straightforward. There are a number of measures you can take and before long, you will be able to reconnect with your friends.
- Check your VPN
- Setting different server region
- Disabling Quality of Service (QoS) on Discord
- Change the audio subsystem in Discord
- Change your DNS server
- Cleaning up your DNS cache and resetting IP settings
- Do the RTC connecting test
Maybe you wouldn't need to try all the fixes, so you could just make your way down the list until the problem is solved.
Fix 1: Check Your VPN
Yes, your overall internet experience is enhanced by a VPN configuration, but it also changes your IP address along with it and this does not go well with Discord. But Discord does work well with VPNs that have User Datagram Protocol (UDP) support. A fast connection is established by UDP that eliminates the delays in data sharing. The connection is thus a lot faster than the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP).
If you are working with a VPN without UDP, you can just uninstall it and then restart your system before getting back to Discord.
Fix 2: Setting different server region
The cause for the RTC problem could be your server region and in that case, you would have to choose a different one and try initiating the VoIP chat again:
- Launch Discord and enter the Server settings. Just click on your server name on the top of the window and expand the drop-down menu and click on Server Settings.
- Click the Change button. You will find this under the 'Server Region' option.
- From the available list, select a server region.
- Try the connection again after saving the changes.
Fix 3: Disabling Quality of Service (QoS) on Discord
Even disabling the Quality of Service (QoS) settings can help you fix the RTC connecting issue:
- Click on Settings at the bottom of the Discord window.
- Under the App Settings section in the left pane, click on Voice and Video.
- Click the toggle and turn off the ‘Enable Quality of Service High Packet Priority’ option by scrolling down on the screen.
- Restart Discord.
Fix 4: Change the Audio Subsystem in Discord
Changing the Discord audio subsystem to Legacy helped some users to make progress with the RTC Connecting issue.
- Launch Discord.
- Click Settings.
- In the App Settings section click on 'Voice and Audio'.
- Set Audio Subsystem to Legacy.
- Re-launch Discord.
Fix 5: Change Your DNS Server
The URLs are connected with their IP addresses using the Domain Name System (DNS). It is due to the DNS that you can type decipherable words and phrases instead of a string of numbers into your browser when you visit a website. So, you could also say that the DNS is like the Internet's phonebook.
Your DNS server allows DNS clients to reach the origin server by translating domain names into IP addresses. Thus it is quite understandable why it can affect your browsing speed and accuracy.
You could try changing your DNS server to a more widely-used server like Google DNS and this could fix your RTC problem.
Follow the procedure shown below:
- Press the Windows + R combination after opening the Run dialogue box.
- Then, type “Control ncpa.cpl” (no quotes) into the text field and click the OK button
- Then just right-click on your network and click on Properties from the context menu.
- Open the properties by double-clicking on Internet Protocol Version 4 ( TCP/IPv4).
- Then, just switch to ‘Use the following DNS server addresses.’
- Then enter these values:
- Preferred DNS Server: 18.104.22.168
- Alternate DNS Server: 22.214.171.124
- Click OK.
Fix 6: Cleaning up your DNS cache and resetting IP settings
You have to clean up your DNS cache and reset the IP settings after you are done changing to Google DNS:
- Click on the Start button at the lower corner of your screen.
- Type “Command Prompt” in the search bar.
- Then, right-click on the Command Prompt and click on Run as Administrator.
- Click the Yes button when User Account Control prompts you.
- Enter the following commands once you are in the Command Prompt (Admin) window; make sure that you press Enter on your keyboard after each one:
- ipconfig /flushdns
- ipconfig /all
- ipconfig / release
- ipconfig /renew
After you are done, close the Command Prompt and restart your computer.
Fix 7: Do the RTC Connecting Test
If any of the solutions stated above doesn't yield a result, you should just run a test:
- Visit the WebRTC website.
- Initiate the test by clicking the green Start button located at the top of the page.
- Wait for about 3 minutes.
- After the results appear, try to figure if you can resolve any of the detected errors.
These are a few of the measures you could take in case you are confronted with the RTC connection issue.