The popularity of Discord has increased exponentially in recent times. But like most apps, Discord is also prone to error and issues.
Here, in this article, we will see the reasons and how to solve the Discord Installation Failed issue on Windows 10.
There are a number of reasons why the Discord Installation Failed issue might arise. Here we have listed some of the most common ones:
- The corrupted files are the most common reason for the issue.
- The error can also be caused if you are not running Discord as an administrator.
- There could be a recently installed app that is interfering with the Discord packages.
- The cause for the installation process to fail could also be a previously running Discord program.
Apart from this, the Windows 10 updates could also be the reason for the error.
How to Fix Discord Installation has failed Error
1. Run SFC and DISM Scan
It is found in some cases that the corrupted system files affect the device drivers which consecutively result in such issues. You can use Windows inbuilt utilities - SFC and DISM to fix these corrupted system files.
Your computer will be scanned by these utilities and the damaged file will be replaced with a healthy copy. So first, let us run the SFC command:
- Click on the Command Prompt(Admin) as you press down Windows + X keys.
- Type this command in the Command Prompt window and press the Enter key to execute it:
- Then just wait for some time.
Check if you can install Discord after the scanning process is finished. Run the DISM tool if you are still facing the Discord installation failed issue.
- Type this command in the Command Prompt and press the Enter key:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Restart the PC after the scanning is complete and check if the issue is resolved or not.
2. End Discord Process Running in Background
From the Task Manager disable the entire processes running in the background.
Follow the given steps:
- Open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del.
- Then locate the entry related to Discord under Background Processes.
- Select it by right-clicking on it and click on the End Task button.
Also, select them one by one and stop them if there are several instances. After this check again if the problem arises or is fixed.
3. Disable Antivirus
At times the installation process is blocked by the antivirus if it seems like a virus. Disable the third-party antivirus installed on your PC and try again to install Discord in that case.
The Windows default antivirus is always running in the background even if there are no other third-party antivirus working. This is the Windows Defender Firewall. You can try turning the Firewall off for some time.
4. Set the Discord Compatibility
The Discord Installation failed error could also be caused if there is a compatibility issue with the OS. You need to set custom compatibility settings for Discord to fix this problem.
This is how you can do that:
- First, right-click on the Discord icon that is located on the Desktop.
- Then, select the Troubleshoot compatibility option.
- Click on the Troubleshoot program.
- In the next window, select the “The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won’t install or run now” option
- Then, click on the Next button.
- Select Windows 8 or 7 for compatibility.
- Then just click on the Test the program button.
- Click on the Next button.
- Then click on "Yes, save these settings for this program" if you can install Discord on your computer.
- And select the “No, try again using different settings” option if you can't install Discord still and set the compatibility to another version of Windows.
5. Update Device Drivers
Device drivers are very crucial for the PC and corrupted or missing drivers from the system can lead to several issues. One of these issues can be the Discord Installation failed error.
This can be fixed by just updating the device drivers, this is how you can do it:
- First, Press Window + R keys, then type devmgmt.msc in the Run box and click on the OK button.
- Click on the device category in the Device Manager to expand the section.
- Right-click on the device name and select Update Driver software.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software on the next window.
- After the process is completed just restart your computer.
Then just check if the issue is fixed by installing Discord.
6. Uninstall Recent Windows Update
Yes, it is very important to update Windows for system security and performance by sometimes certain updates create issues.
So you can try uninstalling the last update if the Discord installation failed error has started appearing after updating your Windows 10 system.
- Move to the Windows Start button, then click on the Settings icon to open the Windows Settings.
- Click on the Update & Security on the App Settings window.
- Move to the Windows Update and click on the View Installed Update History.
- Click on Uninstall Updates.
- Now, look for the recently installed updates.
- Then just right-click on the last update and select Uninstall.
- Try to reinstall Discord after you have removed the recent update.
7. Reinstall Discord App
You can just reinstall the Discord app and try it once again if none of the above-mentioned fixes worked for you.
Make sure that you have ended all the Discord related tasks in the Task Manager before uninstalling the app.
- Open the Task Manager by pressing the Ctrl+Shift+Esc key together.
- Go to the Process tab in the Task Manager window.
- Click on the End Task button after you right-click on the Discord related tasks.
Now uninstall Discord completely from your Computer.
Then, remove all the Discord files and folders from the Computer:
- Just press Windows + R keys, then type %AppData% on the Run dialogue box and press the Enter key.
- Search for the Discord folder on the next window and right-click on it, then select the Delete option.
- Then type %LocalAppData% and click on the OK. button after opening the Run window.
- Then right-click on the Discord folder and click on the Delete option.
- Restart your PC.
Then reinstall Discord after you have uninstalled it completely from the computer.
We know that there are a number of users using Discord to connect, especially in this Covid affected era. Fortunately, the Discord Installation failed error isn't a major issue and can be easily fixed by following the steps given above.