Networking in Java
Java is a premier language for network programming. java.net package encapsulate large number of classes and interface that provides an easy-to use means to access network resources. Here are some important classes and interfaces of java.net package.
Java Networking Classes
Java Networking Interfaces
Inet Address encapsulates both numerical IP address and the domain name for that address. Inet address can handle both IPv4 and Ipv6 addresses. Inet Address class has no visible constructor. To create an inet Address object, you have to use Factory methods.
Three commonly used Inet Address factory methods are.
- static InetAddress getLocalHost() throws UnknownHostException
- static InetAddress getByName (String hostname) throws UnknownHostException
- static InetAddress[ ] getAllByName (String hostname) throws UnknownHostException
Example using InetAddress class
public static void main(String args) throws UnknownHostException
InetAddress address = InetAddress.getLocalHost();
address = InetAddress.getByName("www.studytonight.com");
InetAddress sw = InetAddress.getAllByName("www.google.com");
for(int i=0; i< sw.length; i++)
Socket and ServerSocket Class
Socket is foundation of modern networking, a socket allows single computer to serve many different clients at once. Socket establishes connection through the use of port, which is a numbered socket on a particular machine. Socket communication takes place via a protocol. Socket provides communication mechanism between two computers using TCP. There are two kind of TCP sockets in Java. One is for server and other is for client.
- ServerSocket is for servers.
- Socket class is for client.
Java URL Class present in java.net package, deals with URL (Uniform Resource Locator) which uniquely identify or locate resources on internet.
Important Methods of URL class
- getProtocol() : Returns protocol of URL
- getHost() : Returns hostname(domain name) of URL
- getPort() : Returns port number of URL
- getFile() : Returns filename of URL
Program using URL class
public static void main(String arg) throws MalformedURLException
URL hp = new URL("http://www.studytonight.com/index");