What does the term virus stand for?
The term VIRUS stands for Vital Information Resource Under Seize. A virus is a computer program that uploads to a computer without the knowledge of the user and runs without consent.
What is a virus?
- According to the definition, a computer virus is a program designed to change the way a computer operates and is programmed in such a way that it spreads from one computer to another by itself to carry out spiteful actions. A virus is a human-made program used by someone who has malicious intent to access private information, corrupt data, to display humorous messages on the user's screen. The majority of viruses are targeted on computers run on Microsoft windows.
- If a virus manages to get into the computer or any other device it can cause a lot of damage. It can damage billions of dollars every year if inserted into some computer which is used for highly important data. Viruses can cause damage in several other ways also. To counter the virus many anti-virus programs have been made.
What are the types of computer viruses?
There are many types of computer viruses and all of them affect the computer in different ways. Computer viruses keep evolving with technology and take various new forms. Some common types of computer viruses are:
1. File Virus:
File virus is also known as a parasitic virus because it damages every file but then keeps the host intact. It typically affects files with .com or .exe extensions. The execution of this virus is not even noticed. It basically changes the start of the program so that the control falls to its code.
2. Boot sector virus:
It infects the boot system of the computer. This type of virus executes every time the system reloads or is booted. They are also known as memory viruses as they do not affect the file system. Nowadays, these types of viruses are distributed in the form of physical media such as hard drives or USB.
3. Macro Virus:
This type of virus is mostly found on documents such as word and ms excel. Unlike all other viruses, this virus is written in a low language (like C or assembly language). This type of virus usually spreads when a file is transferred from one document to another.
4. Multipartite Virus:
This type of virus infects multiple parts of a system including the boot sector, memory, and files. It is infectious and can spread easily on a computer. It is not easy to contain and detect.
5. Resident Virus:
This type of virus stores itself on a computer and infects files and other documents. This virus causes program corruption and interferes with the operating system.
6. Armored Virus:
This form of a virus is coded and makes it difficult for antivirus software to detect and contain them. It has a variety of techniques to fool the antivirus program like it lies about its real location or uses methods to complicate its code.
How to protect your computer from a virus?
- A virus undetected on your computer can cause great damage to your device. There are several ways to keep your device secure from viruses:
- Avoid clicking on suspicious links
- Regularly scan your computer with anti-virus programs
- Do not click on pop-up ads and get a blocker if need.
- Download programs from official websites or trusted third-party sources.
- If routed to a third-party website immediately close it.
- Email attachments should be opened only if you trust the sender.
- If Public wifi is your only option, use a VPN for secure access.
How to detect a virus?
If you notice these issues your computer is probably virus-infected:
- Frequent system crashes and error messages
- Browser redirects
- Malfunctioning antivirus programs
- Overworked Hardrive( the fan makes a lot of noise and seems to be working very hard when you are not doing much)
- Restarting and shutting down problems.
- Browser lags
- An unexpected new tab pop-ups
What to do if your device gets a Virus?
- Start by running a full system scan by running your anti-virus or anti-malware program. Review the problem and take action if you can.
- Another strategy might be to delete all temporary files. This process of deleting may differ from system to system.
- In a few cases, you may need to restart the operating system.
- Disconnect from the internet to prevent further damage as some viruses operate using the internet
The above article mentions everything you need to know about viruses. From what does the term stand for, what is a virus, what are the types of computer viruses, how to protect yourself from a virus, how to detect that your device has a virus, and what to do if your device is infected by a virus. This article will help you be better prepared for a virus attack.
You may also l like: